Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Let's Talk Turkey

OK kids, believe it or not, Turkey Day is just around the corner.  I think the reason I love Thanksgiving is because its all about the food, and you don't have the added pressure of gifts and decorations.  I've been making dinner for the Skibinski clan for about the past 15 years, and I really love doing it.  They're coming again this year, and I'm looking forward to cooking again.

So, what are you making this year?  I need some new ideas for sides.  I seem to make the same old thing year after year.  They're good, but getting a bit monotonous.  Last year I tried mixing it up a bit, but had a few disastrous results (Don't, I repeat DON'T serve brussels sprouts to houseguests who have also been drinking beer non stop for the past 36 hours unless you also have the little green pills in serving dishes right on the table!).

I have been making the same turkey recipe for the past 6 years or so, and I don't plan to mess with that.  Its foolproof.  The best, juciest white meat you will ever eat.  I'm not going to print the whole recipe, as its Alton Brown's Good Eats Roast Turkey from Food Network.  You can get it here.  Try it.  You won't be sorry.  I brine it in my large stock pot  and begin brining before I go to bed.  I usually get a 12 to 14 pounder, and it cooks up in about 2 1/2 hours.  (Don't forget to make your own candied ginger!)

However, this does not solve my side dish problem.  The saffron butternut squash risotto was also a disaster last year, mainly due to timing issues.  Its a really good recipe, but risotto is a dish you probably need to save to be the centerpiece of a meal.  Too labor intensive when you're trying to get the rest of the meal on the table. 

Anyways, HELP!  I need some new ideas!  Lets get cooking!

Bon Apetit!

Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment