Thursday, November 4, 2010

Judy's Carrot Cake

I think we're all in agreement that this is THE BEST CARROT CAKE EVER!  I've copied and pasted Judy's recipe from the other blog, mainly for my own convenience.  We're having a potluck lunch at work next week, and I've been making many grand promises.  I even got 10 inch pans specifically for this cake.  Here's a question:  Will Grandma Koszuth come back and haunt me if I used store-bought cream cheese icing? 

Here's Judy's original post:

2 - 10 inch round layers


6 cups grated carrots
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup raisins
4 eggs
1 ½ cups white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts

In a medium bowl, combine grated carrots and brown sugar. Set aside for 60 minutes, then stir in raisins.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 10-inch cake pans.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs until light. Gradually beat in the white sugar, oil and vanilla. Stir in the pineapple. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, stir into the wet mixture until absorbed. Finally stir in the carrot mixture and the walnuts. Pour evenly into the prepared pans.

Bake for 45-55 minutes in the preheated oven or until the cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. When completely cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting

Two 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup butter softened
7 cups powdered sugar
2 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
splash of orange extract~optional

Cream the softened butter and cream cheese together. Add the vanilla and optional orange extract. Add the sugar a little at a time blending well. Frost the cake when smooth, then CAREFULLY put it in a box and send it to me as I’m hungry just typing this.......

--------------------------

Update 11/13/2010
I made this cake (pics below), and it was really good, but some the carrots turned GREEN in the cake!  Why?  Beats me.  Was it because I purchased pre-grated carrots and they're probably chemically infused?  Was is a reaction between that and the pineapple (acidity?).  The world may never know.  Here's my pics:




I was doing about 37 things at once, so I forgot to take a lot of pictures.  But, its a really good cake, green carrots and all......

3 comments:

  1. Here's another question: Where will I find a serving plate big enough?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You MAY NOT EVER use store bought icing on this cake. Period

    ReplyDelete
  3. It coud very well be that the carrots had 'stuff' on them and that's why they turned green... hmmmmmm or they were just SICK because you used CANNED FROSTING on the cake...

    ReplyDelete