Friday, November 19, 2010

Chili!

I make a rather unusual chili.  But people who have tried it really like it.  So, I'll share my recipe here.  I make it in the crockpot, so its super simple.

The spice mix for 1 batch is:
2 teaspoons dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon pepper

I usually mix up a large batch in a jar.  Then, when I need it, I add 2 to 3 Tablespoons to my recipe.

You also need 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 chopped onion
1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 15 ounce can black beans, undrained
1/2 cup very strong black coffee
2 Tablespoons Masa Harina (corn flour) or corn meal

Brown your ground beef in a skillet with the onions and garlic (can be done ahead and refrigerated or frozen)

Throw the beef mixture in the crock pot.  Add the spices, the tomato sauce, and the black beans.  Stir in the coffee (This is optional.  I don't drink coffee, so I rarely have any.  But its a good addition if you do.)

Cook on low 8 hours or so.  About a half hour before serving, stir in the masa or corn meal.

Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream and diced raw onion.  I also serve this with Tostitos Scoops, and no one even dirties a spoon!

Before:

After:

This was a double batch I made for Bunco, so I used my 6 quart slow cooker.  Its really an over achiever, and I almost burned this.  Usually I use my 3 quart for a regular-sized batch. 
 
Bon Apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment