Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Grasshopper Pie!



I think I'm channeling Auntie Edie.  Remember in the '70s when she used to make this?  I absolutely LOVED it.  But I loved anything minty -- especially Creme de Menthe liquor.  Dad used to let me drink some on special occasions in a little cordial glass.  I always slept well after that.  Hmmmm, do you think that was his intent?

I found out by accident that creme de menthe and creme de cacao last forever.  I think I bought the bottles I have when we still lived on Camino Alto Street, and that was more than 10 years ago.  I tasted them and they were still good. ("Hic").

Where was I?  Oh, yeah, Grasshopper Pie.  I found this recipe on a cooking blog I check from time to time.  Pioneer Woman Cooks.com.   I tweaked it just a little (I can't let any recipe alone).  I knew Matthew would love it, as anything chocolately and minty disappears FAST around my house.

Matthew had a ball making this with me, especially when we went to the store to buy the "grasshoppers."

Cast of Characters:

16 Oreos (plus 1 for garnish later, if you want)
2 T melted butter (REAL butter, if you please)
24 large grasshoppers (or you can substitute marshmallows)
2/3 cup heavy cream
3 (+) T green creme de menthe liqueur
2 T creme de cacao liqueur
1 cup heavy cream

Throw the 16 oreos into the food processor and pulverise the ever lovin' you-know-what out of them.  (Unless you've had an especially bad day -- then put them in a baggie and use a rolling pin.  Cheaper than therapy!).  Combine them with the 2T melted butter, and press into a pie plate (Matthew did this part.  I had to wash the floor afterwards).

Heat the 2/3 cup heavy cream in a saucepan with the "grasshoppers" (or marshmallows if substituting) over low heat, stirring almost constantly, until all those little buggers are melted.  Then, plunk the pan into an ice bath to help this cool completely.  Stir it a lot to make this happen faster because you really can't wait to taste this pie.

Once its cooled, stir in the liquers.  Taste and add more if you think it needs it.  I did!

Meanwhile, with an electric mixer, whip the remaining 1 cup of heavy cream until stiff.  Fold the minty grasshopper mixture into the whipped cream. 

Pour all of this lovely green creaminess into your crust.  Put it into the freezer for at least 2 hours, probably more.  (I know -- but its worth the wait!) 

Crush up that last cookie, unless you've already eaten it, and sprinkle on the top for garnish.

Note:  If you give this to the kids for bedtime snack, they will sleep very well.  I think Dad was onto something.......




Bon Apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment