Saturday, August 14, 2010

Peter Piper Picked a Peck

Well, the heatwave we've been having here in Southwest Missouri (its supposed to be 103 today -- without the heat index) has not affected Eric's pepper plants in the least!  So, I needed to figure out what to do with all these:




These are ripe and unripe halapenos, and the long ones are called "Holy Mole."  I have no idea what they taste like -- I just bought the plants 'cause I liked the name.  I tasted one today, and its hot, similar to a halapeno, but not quite as intense.  Close, though.


This morning I harvested about 3 lbs.  I'm going to pickle them.  With onions.  After that, I have no idea what to do with them.  There's plenty more growing, so if anyone has any ideas, I'm open. 

For 3 lbs of peppers, you will need:

10 cups plain 5% vinegar
2 cups water
4 Tablespoons sugar
8 Tablespoons pickling salt
whole, peeled garlic cloves, 1 for each jar (2 if they're small)

My yield was 11 pints.

Sterlize your jars, lids & rings. 

While they're sterilizing, make your brine by combining the vinegar, water, salt & sugar.  Bring to boil to allow everything to dissolve and get happy.

Slice up your peppers & onions.  (Wear gloves!)  Don't rub your eyes. The peppers, after slicing, came to 2.75 lbs.  I added 3 onions, quartered & sliced, to add up to about 4 lbs. total.  (I suppose I could have used the mandoline for this, but after almost losing the tip of my thumb with the ginger, I thought better of it.)





Mix them all up and pack into sterilized jars.  Add one clove of garlic to each jar (2 if they're small).  Make sure there's at least a 1/2 inch clearance at the top of the jar.





Add brine to 1/2 inch from top. 

Add lids, screw in rings finger tight.  Process in water bath for 15 minutes. 



Let them sit around in the pantry for about 3 weeks to fully develop their flavor. 


Aren't they pretty?  Just like Christmas!

My sweet peppers are going to ripen at the end of the week.  I think this would be a good way to preserve those, too.  Matthew loves pickled sweet peppers.

1 comment:

  1. You could dry some of them and then grate them for pepper flakes.

    ~I'm going to find my recipe for Green Pork Chili, I haven't made it in eons but it's REALLY good!

    ReplyDelete